Re: Clay Head Sculptures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Mon, 02 Jun 1997 22:00:37 -0400

Hello Kay,

The brownish quality of the heads has to do with the clay body being
slightly reduced. What specific clay body did you use?

Were the clay heads solid? If they were then they were probably fired to
quickly. It's amazing just how thick you can make a piece without it blowing
up. You have to fire sculptures VERY SLOWLY.

Were the clay heads hollow but not completely dry? Fired to quickly they
would blow up then also.

Did the students wedge the clay? Perhaps they were full of air pockets.

Was the clay contaminated with plaster? Plaster can cause problems when
working with clay.

There are lots of reasons why they might have blown up...

Hope this helps...
Numo Jaeger
San Leandro High School and Studio One Art Center
2200 Bancroft Avenue 365 45th Street
San Leandro, CA Oakland, CA

e-mail: jaegmil