Re: exams

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Mon, 02 Jun 1997 21:53:50 -0700

Roberts wrote:

> anyone have any great exam questions for senior high school students?
>
> john roberts
> erin district high school
> guelph, ontario, canada

Hi:

Thanks for the friendly diversion from the DBAE discussions, and the
gang related topics. Over the years I have been able to change and
design my exams on a whim. Probably because my administration knows
that the true "exam" is whether your art has successfully accomplished
what you intended it to do. Because my students are constantly
challenging their intentions, and critiquing continually using
vocabulary words, historical references and etc etc., an exam would be
redundant. I will admit to a 6 page exam for my beginning students,
with the first page being vocabulary (design, color etc.) and the next
five pages devoted to drawing assignments (including face, figure,
perspective, still life, and a design problem). This exam for the
beginners is open book, because like everything else in life, you can
look it up!!!! (And as a side note, I always have one or two kids that
flunk the thing!)

My favorite advanced art exam was given as a clandestine assignment
(to be worked on when no one was looking) and due the day of the exam.
They had to make (and I did as well) a formal outfit worthy of attending
a prom completely out of plastic garbage bags, and on the day of the
exam we set up a runway complete with music and they had to strut their
stuff. Mine was all out of New York Times bags, and quite frankly
rivaled the gold master card dress of the oscars a few years back. Their
work was completely functional, aesthetically pleasing and a hoot. We
all "mugged" it up, and had a great time. Since no one knew what to
expect it was wonderful to see the original idea,as well as the pride in
taking the project so seriously. EVERYONE modeled, and EVERYONE was
amazed! Oh, and our runway? The art tables back to back. Come on!
don't you want to walk on the art tables in your art room?

San D