Re: disablitiy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Beeching (robprod)
Sun, 01 Jun 1997 13:22:09 -0700

>Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 00:17:59 -0700
>To: jassen ceci <jceci>
>From: Robert Beeching <robprod>
>Subject: Re: disablitiy
>
>Handle them as any other student; with care and concern!
>
> MONTESSORI was a doctor in Milan who designed a teaching method for the
lame of body and spirit "gutter kids" she passed on the way to work every
morning; paradox: the program is now used in this country for wealthy
children because of its emphasis on the humanistic approach to
"process/skill" development.

>A CASE IN POINT:
> One boy was sent to "art class" because he was a "non-reader", with what
was called low "comprehension" skills, but he drew beautifully; he sat
silently in class making no notes while I produced an outline on the board.
He said: "I can't read or write." I said: "Look at the board as though it
were a "picture." Copy all those shapes as well as you can." In six months,
he was reading, writing, and drawing more beautifully than ever.
> We never know when the light will strike - if ever. By expecting
students to excell (and not writing them off) they can surprise you. That's
why at teacher's meetings, I dreaded receiving psychological reports on
students; they often pre-determine your EXPECTATIONS!=20