Re: disablitiy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stenger - Judith DiSalvo (jstenger)
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 11:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

Most kids with disabilities are already in art classes, and doing quite
well. As tho how to handle these kids--depends on the type and severity
of the disability. If you're talking about a learning difference, you
simply do what all good teachers do--be sure you teach to all the learning
channels. Make accomodations for seating preferences, talk to other
professionals. If the child is seriously emotionally disturbed, you NEED
to read the record so you are prepared for emotional outbursts which may
require crisis intervention. Physically handicapped children usually have
therapists who will tell you if a special desk or chair is necessary. It
would be wonderful if the special ed assistants accompanied these kids to
support them in mainstreamed classes, but I haven't seen it yet. If any
child is taking more of your time than is fair to the others, you really
need an adult aide. And this is the hitch in the gitalong. If we don't
put money into getting support staff in mainstream classrooms, a large
group of our "regular" kids are largely ignored.

You also should be told about physical ailments which aren't visible, ie.
epilepsy, diabetes, heart ailments, and serious respiratory illnesses.
I've found that other kids are very willing to help kids who are
wheelchair bound, since their needs are pretty obvious.
=20
Good luck. Reality is, we have the whole spectrum: disabilities of
varying types and degree, children who speak little English, children from
third world countries who have had no formal education, bright kids,
average kids, geniuses, abused kids, kids with high ethics, kids with no
ethics, kids who use drugs, kids whose parents use drugs, kids from
nurturing families, kids with no families, rich kids, poor kids. The
beat goes on. They're all ours and they all deserve the best we can do
for them.
Judy