Re: Video and copyright

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
sarah ann bowler (sbowler)
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 12:55:11 -0600 (MDT)

That doesn't sound right to me. When I was doing my undergraduate (and
later grad. courses) in cinema studies, my teachers never obtained
permission to show films. (They did own or rent copies though, nothing
taped off TV.) It was understood that the screening was for
educational purposes only and that no profit was being made for showing
these films. I do not know what the specifics of the Disney vs. assorted
pre-schools fiasco was about, but as I understand it classrooms fall
under the private viewing section of the copyright law. I do know that
many school districts including the one in my town require school board
approval of all films screened at school and that there are strict
limitations on showing "entertainment" films even for the purposes of
film classes, but that has nothing to do with copyright.

Sally Bowler
sbowler