[teacherartexchange] MIT Researchers: Teaching too much can stifle exploration.

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2011 - 18:16:49 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Something to think about on how we teach art......

Kathy Douglas - retired art teacher and one of the original Teaching for
Artistic Behavior Partnership members - posted this to TAB Yahoo Group.
Kathy is also a member of this list, but does not post much now. TAB
list keeps her hopping. She is one of the list owners and moderators.
That list is very active. This post from her was from March 28... I save all of my TAB Digests until I have time to read them.
Subject: [TAB-ChoiceArtEd] MIT Researchers: Teaching too much can stifle
exploration.
Date: Monday, March 28, 2011, 10:54 AM

From Kathy's post -- and from the online article:
A squeeze, a squeak, a glimpse of learning
Studies find clues to babies’ minds

"Children make different types of bets, however, depending on how they are
taught. In a new study published in the journal Cognition, Schulz and colleagues
built a complicated toy and brought it to the Museum of Science. The toy had
many functions — pulling on one tube caused a squeak, pressing a button turned
on a light, and pushing a pad made music play.

In one scenario, an adult instructed preschoolers in how the toy worked,
demonstrating only the squeak sound. In another, children were just shown the
toy.

In both cases, the researchers encouraged the children to play with the toy and
figure out how it worked. Those who were explicitly taught how to make the toy
squeak played with it for less time and discovered fewer functions than those
who did not receive a tutorial."

http://www.boston.com/ lifestyle/health/articles/ 2011/03/28/researchers_study_ how_babies_think/?page=full

TAB could start looking "science-based"?

Kathy Douglas
Teaching for Artistic Behavior is Choice Based Art Education.

There
 was a WONDERFUL thread on Advocacy, but I am waiting for permission
from the member to share it with you. I do not post anyone's emails to
the list without their permission. I always let them them know what I
have posted, too.

I love this Dr. Seuss quote that another member posted:

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better, It's not"  Dr. Seuss

I am sure Dr. Seuss would want it posted here......"Stick together" yes, - but also do something.

Regards,

Judy Decker