[teacherartexchange] Teacher Exchange

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 17:19:26 PDT

Hi everyone!
I have been a member of this list for awhile. My university instructor told me about it in the mid 90's, not sure which year anymore. I had forgotten about the list for awhile as I started my career as a third grade teacher, but about 5 years ago when I was offered the opportunity to teach art (my true love) at a school of arts and technology I remembered the list and joined again.

Throughout the last five years, I have gained a lot of hints and tips and support from the group. Some ideas I use every day or changed my entire thought and practices in art education. This site gave me the courage to apply to present at a NAEA convention and now I am going on my third as a presenter (fingers crossed).

But with that said, I also have been bit a few times for things that I have posted. And not because I had some controversial ideas, but for something like posting a link to a resourceful website. It was often very intimidating to ask questions when I first joined, because (from the posts I read or received) I felt that I might be regarded as immature or stupid. I have since become much more confident in teaching, and maybe just came to the realization that we are ALWAYS growing as educators and we all need new ideas, or even be reminded of the "oldies by goodies".

I hope this post stays alive and I hope that we keep learning from one another. I hope EVERYONE new and old continue to post their ideas. I plan to continue to do that. There are so few of us around these days. I actually don't know of a single elementary art teacher in my county. There might be one or two out there, but I doubt any more than that. You all are my colleagues and I hope we keep this up and running.
Cheri Lloyd
Ceres, CA