[teacherartexchange] What is Fair Trade? Some links

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 10:19:35 PDT

Greetings All,

I got some questions to explain Fair Trade. Every artist/crafts' person wants to be paid a fair price for their art? right? Here are some good explanations.

Link for Ten Thousand Villages Fair Trade:
http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/php/fair.trade/fair.trade.values.php

From the Fair Trade Organization:
http://www.wfto.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1331&Itemid=293
Copied from the site:
>> Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and
respect, that seeks greater equity in international trade. It
contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading
conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and
workers – especially in the South.
Fair Trade organizations have a clear commitment to Fair Trade as the
principal core of their mission. They, backed by consumers, are engaged
actively in supporting producers, awareness raising and in campaigning
for changes in the rules and practice of conventional international
trade. They can be recognised by the WFTO logo.
Fair Trade is more than just trading: it proves that greater justice in
world trade is possible. It highlights the need for change in the rules
and practice of conventional trade and shows how a successful business
can also put people first.

From SERRV:
http://www.serrv.org/AboutUs.aspx

All of the sites posted have a blurb about Fair Trade on their sites (except Africa Direct.. I have written the owner personally and know Africa Direct pays a fair price for everything they buy from Africa and Tibetan refugees).

I like this concise statement (copied from a hang tag from something I bought from Global Gallery, Columbus, OH)

Fair Trade offers Peace
Fair Trade teaches Love
Fair Trade celebrates Hope
Fair Trade develops Strength
Fair Trade honors Wisdom
Fair Trade changes the World
                  one heart at a time
(Definition compliments of Global Gallery, Columbus Ohio – Retailer offering Fair Trade International Hand Crafts)

Thanks for asking.

Regards,

Judy Decker