[teacherartexchange] sharing ideas

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 09:40:55 PDT

This truly has been a wonderful site for me during my career...as I'm
sure it has for many, many others from it's creation in the 90's. I've
made many friends and gathered many ideas and tried over the years to
do the same in turn. Several of us oldies have been approaching
retirement or gotten overwhelmed with technology...both effecting me
personally. I seem to spend the majority of my day on the computer in
the classroom with attendance, parent communication, grades, lessons,
etc. that it just becomes too much for me to also communicate with my
favorite sites most of the time. Maybe it's an "age" thing too (grin).

I feel like I've "fought the fight" for soooo long to keep a great
quality art program for our school starting out with 6 classes of art
a day well before the computer entered the classroom but this, my last
year, I'm down to two art classes and four math classes which is so
depressing. My days are filled now with math lesson planning instead
of art planning because we all know at this school that math is so
much more important than art (ha). And it's not just my school...it's
this way all around our large district. It's not about what the kids
want, it's about teacher scheduling...designing new electives so other
teachers will have classes to teach....but I digress.

I do want to mention that my school art's website will be deleted
after this year's retirement (I've been informed) so if any of you
newbies have not seen it, you might want to take a look at projects
we've done in the past. All that work since 1996 and it will be gone
in a flick of a finger (sigh).

http://lc-art-gallery.lcms.srvusd.net/KramerMain.html

Speaking of sharing....end of May I was watching TV ("Creative Living"
to be exact) and saw a fabulous art lesson from Margaret Peot about
inkblots. The next week I had my middle schoolers making inkblot bugs
and butterflies which turned out fabulous! Turned out to be my
favorite project of the year. You can check her out by entering her
name in google. There are some UTube videos of her as well showing her
techniques. We didn't use India ink as she did though I had some. I
found thin black tempera paint the best thing to use with white
drawing paper. Try it...it's addictive...like eating one potato chip.

Old but still tickin'...toodles.......Bunki