RE: [teacherartexchange] A wealth of information from long time Getty list members

---------

From: Michal Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 07:29:12 PDT

How are new members expected know about archives? And if we are expected to
Google for previous answers then why have a list serv? I'm sure many of the
topics posted have already been posted - is it time to just unsubscribe from
the list? Has this list outlived it's usefulness? If you are referring to
MaryAnn Kohl posting lessons in her books that she got from this list serv
and its members, well, I was given credit for all my lessons that were used
in her books (even ones that she altered to fit her needs), and each of my
students was given an autographed copy - they were published in the
newspaper as contributors to the book, and was a HUGE highlight to them,
their families, my district, and highlighted my art program in a very
positive light. I rarely post off list, & I don't care about the "me toos".
Sharing is not always a 50-50 proposition. I give what I want to & don't
expect a reward for my efforts. If I don't get personal satisfaction just
from sharing then I won't.
~Michal

>Have you even tried to see what is already out there posted by long time
members of this list?

>You will find that members are very sharing of their time and wisdom.
Answers often take a very long time to write. The Getty list archives are no
longer searchable on their site, but you can get posts to come up in Google.

>Cara, I will be watching to see if new members, like you, step up to the
plate. Ironically, most of the answers are still coming from long time
members. Many of whom are now retired.

>Some long time members have stopped sharing original lesson ideas. Why?
Members have used those ideas - posted them on web sites - and one even
published them in books! and have not given the original author of the idea
credit (or proper credit). So sad.... Why didn't those members "stick
together"?  Some members have stopped offering to share files - or are very
careful to offer the file off list. Why? Dozens of other members chime in
"Me Too" (usually just those two words) - posting to the entire list the
"Gimmy-gimmy" post. Sharing to this list can become quite frustrating at
times.

>Members of this list are professionals and deserve to be treated as
professionals. Cara, I am sorry if Randy's post offended you. That was not
at all her intent.

Regards,

Joan d'Getty