[teacherartexchange] A wealth of information from long time Getty list members

---------

From: Joan Dark (joandark4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 06:46:42 PDT

Cara and All,

Have you even tried to see what is already out there posted by long time members of this list?
You will find that members are very sharing of their time and wisdom. Answers often take a very long time to write. The Getty list archives are no longer searchable on their site, but you can get posts to come up in Google.

For instance, a question about "What music do you use in your art room?" comes up every year.
I entered the following in Google search (no quotation marks):

music in the art room teacherartexchange

I got 3,430 results which took less that half a second (0.45 seconds). I repeat LESS THAN HALF A SECOND! That is what Randy was trying to say.

Next time you have a question and you want a fast answer, try the archives first and see what you can find. You will be amazed! I can guarantee posts from Randy will come up many times.

Funny, Cara, I just tried the same thing - Cara Studds teacherartexchange - and found nothing that you have shared with list members. OK, you are right, that comment does sound "unkind".

Out of curiosity, I looked to see how many of my posts come up (I checked all email addresses I have used) and got close to 20,000!!! (Of course, that includes other sites where Getty posts are archived as well).

I am retired an stopped answering the easy questions long ago. What I did do (for a while), was entered the gist of the question (some key words) in Google - added teacherartexchange - and saw where I had already answered that question. If I had anything new to say on the topic, I answered it off list to the member, making it easier for them to send me a personal thank you. Yes, I do think members are entitled to a "thank you" when often the answers take hours to write. "Thank Yous" are best sent OFF list.

Cara, I will be watching to see if new members, like you, step up to the plate. Ironically, most of the answers are still coming from long time members. Many of whom are now retired.

Some long time members have stopped sharing original lesson ideas. Why? Members have used those ideas - posted them on web sites - and one even published them in books! and have not given the original author of the idea credit (or proper credit). So sad.... Why didn't those members "stick together"?  Some members have stopped offering to share files - or are very careful to offer the file off list. Why? Dozens of other members chime in "Me Too" (usually just those two words) - posting to the entire list the "Gimmy-gimmy" post. Sharing to this list can become quite frustrating at times.

Members of this list are professionals and deserve to be treated as professionals. Cara, I am sorry if Randy's post offended you. That was not at all her intent.

Regards,

Joan d'Getty