Re:[teacherartexchange] Fewer posts to Getty list

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2011 - 08:32:48 PDT

Greetings Diane and All,

I can only tell you why I don't post to the list much. I can't speak for others.

In 2005, I lost my Internet service completely as my home address was
sending virus emails and spam - all spoofed. We were without service
for about two weeks. Now if I lose Internet, I also lose phone
service. That same year, Yahoo also closed the account I was using for
list mail for the same reason. I was not given any notice. I lost lots
of "good stuff" I had saved. I used my home account (Road Runner) to
post to the list until servers all across the globe were blocking it
(It was on just about every Spam block list), so I opened up the Yahoo
account - jdeckeriad (as I was web master for an art education web
site at the time).

Once I got Internet service back, I stopped using the Road Runner
account for anything online. I only use it for personal mail (and
don't want anyone else posting it online to any social networks etc).
I opened up a new Yahoo account - jdecker4art. Once Gmail became
available, I opened up a Gmail account (judy.decker) as I liked the
way that service archives/sort posts better. That Gmail account gets
up to 300 Spam emails a day - about half were from my own email
address. Why? Because Getty list members posted it to the list over
500 times! I set that account up to automatically send any post from
judy.decker directly to trash so I didn't have to deal with seeing all
of the garbage. I opened up a new Gmail account to use for all list
mail. In two years of use, Getty list members have posted this address
almost 200 times - and another one added today by you, Diane.

Many list members have really blasted be for asking members to be more
careful and remove email addresses. One called me "Controlling"....
Another would deliberately reply to my old posts. She would save them
up - change the subject line - and write her post, making sure my
email address was posted again. She didn't like my personal off list
request, I guess. I just can not deal with the childish, immature
behavior any more. Members on this list are supposed to be
professional. Some members have answered that it takes too much time
to remove the email address of the original sender! Two seconds is too
much time? Do they have any idea how long it takes me to write my
posts?

Ironically, many of the posts that include my email address are ones
simply thanking me for whatever it is that I posted (just two words
posted "Thank you" or simply "Thanks" -- and my email address
included).Totally ignoring my requests to send personal "Thank Yous"
off list -- and requests to remove my email address before one clicks
"Send".

Several years ago I fought hard to keep this list. You folks have no
idea that hours I spent. I did get Getty to change their software so
that our addresses are not posted when WE post ourselves. There is
nothing they can do right now about the email addresses that YOU
folks, although software is available.

TAB is active because they discuss important issues in art education.
I haven't checked Google lists. Let us know what list it is, and I
will check it out.

So far, I only get 50 or less Spam emails on this account a day - and
have only received a handful from my own address. If it gets to be too
much, I will unsubscribe....or at least stop posting (except for when
I am doing Altered Book exchanges. I get some of the best and most
interesting work from Getty folks -- smile).

If this list goes on the chopping block again, it won't be me trying to save it.

Regards,

Judy Decker