Re: [teacherartexchange] visually impaired students in art

---------

gdevlin123_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 17:42:12 PDT

I had a blind student in my 4th grade art class a few years ago. I have
to admit I was terrified. The first thing I did was create a 3-D floor
plan of the art room. I had everything labeled in Braille so he had a
feel for the room.He could visualize where he sat , where the door was
and where the sinks were.I adapted many lessons to be textural using
beads, sand, thick paint,etc. If we were looking at van Gogh's
Sunflowers I would take a print and go over it with texture paint so
he could feel the outlines of the flowers. He loved clay and many
projects were adapted using clay. He also loved oil pastels and the
feel of the colors smearing across a paper. He told me once he could
feel the reds and yellows. He was not born blind so he did have
recollection of color. I also thought of using scents to enhance the
painting experience, he did love to paint! We also had 2 students come
to art class with blindflolds on and do an art project. This allowed
them greater understanding as to the obstacles the student faceddaily.
Kids were all hoping to be chosen to be " blind for a class"I learned
more from this student than he learned from me. I treasure the
experience If I can be of any more help let me know. I didn't find a
whole lot of resources available. gina