[teacherartexchange] ideas for traditional schedule

---------

From: Ann Parker (artfulann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 12 2011 - 09:10:00 PDT

I am going back to a traditional 7 period day from block scheduling. It has been about 20 years since I had middle schoolers in this kind of schedule-- so I'm looking for some ideas. And I'll also have the same kids all year rather than new kids each semester. I want to spend some productive time this summer planning and am looking for ideas, syllabus or anything you are willing to share.

One of my biggest dilemmas is that I've incorporated a warm up/handout that would do some re-teaching/pre-teaching. With a shorter time (@50 minutes), I don't necessarily have time for that 10 minute activity and studio applications. I'd been thinking about extending the warm up to the week-- say doing a value scale and each day using a different technique-- stippling, cross-hatching, etc.

My questions for those teaching a standard schedule:
1. Do you use a warm up everyday? And how long is your warm up?
2. How do you grade? (percentages for projects versus daily work)-- I have too much to grade usually and would really like to lighten that load so that I use more of my time productively planning lessons.
3. How do you handle absenteeism including pull-outs for tutoring?

Thanks for your advice in advance!
Ann in Houston