Re: [teacherartexchange] WSJ Article

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 16:38:49 PDT

Barbara - "divisiveness of art educators" - that's a strange way to
put it. Artists have opinions and they
do voice them - that's what democracy is all about. If teachers ask
students to voice social content in
their art, the teacher should not direct the content - that is the
students choice. The teacher should
prepare the students to be accepting of others who have diverse and
different views. Art is powerful
and students should be made aware that one choice is to use their art
for social change or to maintain
the status quo. I do not do political or social art but I respect and
applaud those who do.
                                                                                Woody

On Jun 30, 2010, at 4:45 PM, Barbara Marder wrote:

> Politics in the classroom can be very dangerous.
>

> My teaching context is very diverse-both culturally and
> economically. My focus is teaching a concrete body of knowledge
> about visual arts while simultaneously encouraging the students to
> produce unique creative work that taps into their own sensory
> society. If we digress far afield from our discipline w risk the
> outcome of sabotaging ourselves as artists and teachers.
>

> In recent years I have done some metalsmithing. Before I could be
> creative, I needed to learn some basic skills: sawing, filing,
> soldering. I hated all these steps and even tried to fake a few
> projects that had some good ideas but sloppy craftsmanship. I
> realized I admired finished pieces that were both unique and
> beautifully executed. This is the message I give my students (public
> urban school grades K-8) at all levels.
>

> What disturbs me is the divisiveness of art educators. I do not see
> so much disparagement in other fields.
>

> Barbara from Boston

Join me as a friend on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/woody.duncan1?ref=name