Re: [teacherartexchange] What do you think of this article?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 09:10:25 PDT

Now that I give it some thought - I guess that I really was
indoctrinating students with my liberal / leftist
views all those years. I gave them by example to be open minded and
accepting of all others points of view.
I taught them to be soft spoken and always back up their positions
with reason and logic. I encouraged them
to think before they spoke and to be respectful of different opinions.
I taught them to learn from their mistakes
and to try again and again. I taught them to try new approaches when
the last one did not satisfy them.
                                The school should have fired me long ago, too late now, Woody

On Jun 30, 2010, at 7:14 AM, Jerry Vilenski wrote:

> The writer appears to be one of a string of ideologues who see any
> views espoused by the NAEA as radical and subversive. That means,
> of course, that she perceives all political art as leftist
> propaganda and a threat to her personal view of the world. While
> there is much to legitimately criticize about the art world and art
> education, indoctrinating children to a particular political view is
> not among the pressing issues facing art teachers, nor has it ever
> been. Politics have been interwoven with artistic expression for
> centuries. Art has influenced the world in religious, political and
> social contexts and will continue to do so regardless of the
> authors' disdain for it. Given her own extreme political roots, I
> can fully understand how she might be threatened by the very thought
> of social justice and visual culture! I'm sure she is threatened by
> many other ideas of a creative nature, and surely could benefit from
> the creative thought and higher
> level thinking skills that a good art class could provide.
>

> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Join me as a friend on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/woody.duncan1?ref=name