Re:[teacherartexchange] What do you think of this article?

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 06:14:25 PDT

The writer appears to be one of a string of ideologues who see any views espoused by the NAEA as radical and subversive. That means, of course, that she perceives all political art as leftist propaganda and a threat to her personal view of the world. While there is much to legitimately criticize about the art world and art education, indoctrinating children to a particular political view is not among the pressing issues facing art teachers, nor has it ever been. Politics have been interwoven with artistic expression for centuries. Art has influenced the world in religious, political and social contexts and will continue to do so regardless of the authors' disdain for it. Given her own extreme political roots, I can fully understand how she might be threatened by the very thought of social justice and visual culture! I'm sure she is threatened by many other ideas of a creative nature, and surely could benefit from the creative thought and higher
 level thinking skills that a good art class could provide.