[teacherartexchange] Art for special needs

---------

From: mbortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2010 - 15:04:34 PDT

Hello,

I recently began teaching art to a student in my school who has CP. Her
fine motor abilities are limited and I need some suggestions for meaningful
lessons.
She is in the 2nd grade and will be attending our public school full time
next year, along with another CP student with whom I have not met yet.

I have painted a few times with her and have had great success. My last
lesson was with model magic which I wasn't thrilled with experience for her.
I want her to have a varied and good experience but I do not have the
knowledge in this field. I have spoken with the occupational therapist in
the school, but our schedules never coincide that we can have time together.

Can someone pleas suggest a good resource so I may review it over the
summer and plan for next year? I believe I will meet with the two students
once a week for 20-30 minutes. Adaptive tools are available and we will be
getting more in September.

Thank you,
mb