[teacherartexchange] Need ideas for critiquing altered books

---------

From: Gina Arena (ginaarena_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2010 - 15:45:55 PDT

My crafts class is doing an altered book for their final project in lieu of
an exam. I have to bring them in for a 2 hour class period. It's not enough
time for each student to present their book, so last semester I gave them 2
questions to answer instead.

1. Compare your altered book to the rest of the class. How is it alike? How
is it different? Are there any techniques or elements you see used in other
classmates' books that you wish you would have used? Use specific examples
from classmates' books.

2. Choose one book to critique. Consider the following questions. Does the
art fit the theme? What do you like about it? Is there anything the person
could have done differently to improve their work?

Unfortunately, they were done in 1/2 hour. We did spend the rest of the time
photographing their work, but I felt they quickly looked at the books, and
chose one to focus on, without really taking time to look at ALL of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for questions that might make them spend
more time on more than one book?

Gina