Re:[teacherartexchange] Zentangles

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 17:51:05 PDT

Hi all,
I started to do zentangles (and zendalas) with my senior grade 12 class last
semester - we did it once a week as a 'creativity' exercise for 10-15
minutes at the beginning of class. At the end of semester I had visions of
students creating something with all the squares that they had created (but
time ran away with me and I left it an optional project as a substitute for
one that they didn't do so well on). I actually really enjoy doing
zentangles - I find them relaxing, and I will sit watching tv doing
them.....I've filled up an entire sketchbook with them, and have started a
second!

I love the idea of the watercolour wash with the lines on top - think I will
do that next year with either 9s or 10s......I saw something similar at
another school....I took pictures of it, but if I remember they had the
students fill a page (9x12 maybe) with zentangle type lines/patterns
(although they had never heard of zentangles)...then students selected a
small section (they used a window about the size of a slide mount), and then
the students created that section much larger with tissue paper overlays and
dimensional lines. I'll see if I can find the pictures I took if people are
interested....

As a side note, a lot of the zentangle lines/patterns work well with Art
Nouveau scratchboards....
Off to mark art exams now.....did you know that Picasso ordered the
construction of the Egyptian temples at Abu Simbel (seriously!) and that
there is a colour called okiwo (again- serious!).....sigh.
Sue