[teacherartexchange] Zentangles...& the 7 Motifs

---------

From: Amy Broady (abroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 08:42:11 PDT

Thanks for responding, Terrence. I think that that it's important to give
kids the opportunity and "tools" to learn how to generate abstract design in
addition to representational images. And how to embellish a recognizable
image to make it more expressive, ornamental, individual, etc.

I enjoy teaching my students "the 7 Motifs" (straight line, zigzag, circle,
half circle, S-curve, wavy line, and spiral) that American Artist Walter
Anderson employed, based on A Method for Creative Design by Adolfo Best
Maugard.

http://www.walterandersonmuseum.org/frameset4.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Method-Creative-Design-Adolfo-Best-Maugard/dp/04862643
6X

I think that the Zentangle method, when I start to use it, will be a
perfect way to employ the 7 Motifs and teach my students how to generate
variations of patterns.

Looking forward to other responses about Zentangles.
Amy in TN