Re: [teacherartexchange] Stuck for New Drawing Ideas (Longish!)

---------

From: dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2010 - 07:07:37 PDT

Marsh,
I have a drawing curriculum I currently use with 6th graders, but in the
past I have used it up to 12th grade. It's based (somewhat loosely) on
Betty Edwards. I've found it really successful for beginning drawers,
even the ones who "can't draw". I start with contour, and we use
"picture planes" (a transparency divided into quadrants mounted in a
frame), and they trace contours using vis-a-vis markers. I think it's
really successful for getting them used to thinking about the transition
that happens when you represent the 3-D world on a 2-D surface. I
really emphasize that the picture plane is like training wheels - later
they won't need it, it will be "in their head". The first project is
called "Hand and Ribbon Contour" and I also incorporate experimentation
with various lines/2-D media. After that, we work with modified contour
drawing (no picture plane this time) and they also work with showing
edges through contrast rather than outline - this project is called
"Multi-Culture Contrast and Gradation" because they draw a bunch of
figures and masks I have.
From there, we move on to negative space. They use the picture plane
again to trace all the neg. space shapes in a silk plant, then redraw
this on paper with quadrants, tape the drawing to construction paper,
and cut all the neg. spaces out. This has been the most successful
project I've ever used to really get students to see and understand
negative space. This becomes the "Negative Space Plant Collage". Next,
they do the "Bike-A-Delic Negative Space" project, which they do without
the picture plane; I'm always amazed how pretty much all of them can
just sit down and draw the complex neg. spaces in a bike without making
"positive space" mistakes within 10 minutes.
The next subject we move to is value/shading, and we do the
"Mix-and-match Value Face". This one not only teaches shading, but is a
good intro to drawing actual facial features instead of symbols. They
basically create a collage face from magazine pictures, then re-draw it
larger using rules of proportional enlargement, then they shade it.
After that they're ready to do a regular shaded drawing, which I usually
make into a science-art integration lesson ("Unusual Animal Portrait"
and "Historical Value Portrait" are two examples). Next they do a
shaded self-portrait from observation in a mirror, and this becomes the
basis for "Self-Portrait x 4". Here is my Artsonia page if you need to
see examples of any of these projects:
http://www.artsonia.com/schools/school.asp?id=95054. Let me know if you
need any more info! I LOVE showing students they actually CAN draw! :0)
-Lydia in Toledo
Toledo School for the Arts