Re: [teacherartexchange] Thanks Judy--Art Ed Methods Textbooks - include CHOICE

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2010 - 09:16:36 PDT

 Hi Judy

I really like the Choice Based or TAB approach. It is directed
toward elementary art and a good companion to Studio Thinking
which is more suited to Secondary.

With Choice Based it is so natural to integrate learning technology.

I love the Davis book too that focuses on Big Ideas, Interdisciplinary and
Authentic Assessment. It is a simple and interesting read. My undergraduates
understand this book. My graduate students who do not have a strong
curriculum background like the book too.

I wish there was one book that could be used that would cover
all the various philosophies or approaches. And, provide a critique of them
and examples for how to use them in the classroom. In all my
years of teaching art education methods, I have found the lack
of adequate textbooks a real problem.

I do use Emphasis Art and Kathy's book for my pre-service elementary art education majors.
The state has so many requirements for us to meet and holds our programs to 120 hours. It is
difficult to cover everything in just two courses.

I use Emphasis Art for pre-service elementary classroom teachers. I tried using Children & Their Art.
It is just too academic for these students.

I don't know if you ever got a copy of Boxes with Fires article. That article described how to integrate
technology into the Choice Based or TAB Art program. The Choice Based approach fits so
well with social constructivist or student centered learning.

Cheers,

Diane

My approach
> to teaching was a combination of Comprehensive Arts and
Choice Based. DBAE
> (Discipline Based Art Education) got a bad rap by
teachers doing it wrong.
> DBAE originally included aspects of
Comprehensive Arts (but that part was not
> done very well by most
teachers).
.

I highly recommend that any art methods course include Choice
> Based
Art Education. Students need ownership of their art. The work must
> be
their ideas! I hear all the time about the woes of students
> leaving
artwork behind. Did they ever ask themselves the question
> "Why?" When
the artwork is their idea, they can't wait to take it
> home!

You folks are so lucky now! There is a very affordable - easy to
> read
"textbook" (In quotation marks because book is only around 100
> pages.
Many textbooks are huge - full of stuff you don't need -- smiles.
> You
need this book) for Choice Based Art Education!

Engaging Learners
> Through Artmaking: Choice-Based Art Education in the
Classroom ~ by Katherine
> M Douglas and Diane B. Jaquith.
Teachers College Press ISBN
> 978-0-8077-4976-0

Yes - that is our "Two Ducks" Kathy ("Quack-Quack" to
> you Kathy, if
you see this post).

Available on
> Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Engaging-Learners-Through-Artmaking-Choice-Based/dp/0807749761

More
> about Teaching for Artistic
> Behavior:
http://teachingforartisticbehavior.org/index.html

A while
> back, I helped out answering a survey on art teaching methods.
The more I
> answered, the more frustrated I got. Good art teaching can
not be channeled
> into one approach. There must be art history content
(what they wanted was
> DBAE approach there), social awareness - art's
role in society (can't
> remember what they called that approach now),
how the arts relate/interact
> (Comprehensive Arts - which their survey
omitted) - and student centered
> (Choice based). Oh and don't forget
"Brain Based". I think that approach came
> out of Iowa in the early
90's - but don't remember for sure now...... Then
> there was also
"Visual Culture". Good art teaching does all of that. Save
> the
students almost twenty years. Teach this right from the
> beginning
(smile). Actually, I kind of came full circle. My first
> teaching
experience was mainly Choice Based - but then I wasn't as good
> about
integrating art history and the other arts. Certainly couldn't
> afford
it on my measly salary of $8,000 a year (chuckles).

As always,
> if you reply to this message, remove my email address
before you click
> "Send".

Regards,

Judy Decker