Re: [teacherartexchange] Art Ed Methods Textbooks - Teaching Meaning...

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2010 - 07:51:08 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I should have mentioned this book:
Teaching Meaning in Artmaking
Another very affordable "must have" book.

You will find it more eloquently includes what I wrote in my last post.

Copied by Davis Publications web site
http://www.davisart.com/Portal/K-12-Curriculum/Teaching-Meaning-in-Artmaking-106.aspx

Teaching Meaning in Artmaking

By Sydney R. Walker

Built upon a constructivist philosophy of learning, this book explores
ways of fostering inquiry and discovery in the studio classroom. The
works of contemporary artists are used to help explain the role of big
ideas and personal connections in artmaking.

Art Education in Practice Series

160 pages, softcover

    * Examples of artists’ practices in artmaking
    * Tips on designing meaningful studio instruction
    * Problem solving strategies
    * Ideas about what it means to teach and to understand
    * Questions and practical strategies on “unpacking” the artmaking process

Table of Contents

Introduction
1. Big Ideas and Artmaking
2. Personal Connections
3. Building a Knowledge Base for Artmaking
4. Problem Solving
5. Setting Boundaries
6. Designing Studio Instruction
7. Ways of Working: Artist’s Practices

Tags: Teaching Meaning in Artmaking, Art Education in Practice Series,
Sydney R. Walker, Marilyn G. Stewart, professional development