Re: [teacherartexchange] Art Ed Methods Textbooks - include CHOICE

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2010 - 07:45:41 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

It is so important that teachers learn about ALL of the methods of
teaching art. It took me almost 20 years to finally land on an
approach that was right for me. It finally hit me when taking a studio
course myself (in 1997). It is so important that the students create
something that THEY like. It doesn't matter so much if you like it.
Your lessons need to be flexible - not rigid recipes.

My approach to teaching was a combination of Comprehensive Arts and
Choice Based. DBAE (Discipline Based Art Education) got a bad rap by
teachers doing it wrong. DBAE originally included aspects of
Comprehensive Arts (but that part was not done very well by most
teachers).

I did purchase the Getty DBAE Teaching manual (maybe in 1991?), read
through it - but never did a lesson out of it. It is important to put
yourself into your teaching. I took a course in summer of 1998 that
recommended the DBAE manual, so I loaned mine out to members of the
class. We had to write a comprehensive lesson for that course.

I highly recommend that any art methods course include Choice Based
Art Education. Students need ownership of their art. The work must be
their ideas! I hear all the time about the woes of students leaving
artwork behind. Did they ever ask themselves the question "Why?" When
the artwork is their idea, they can't wait to take it home!

You folks are so lucky now! There is a very affordable - easy to read
"textbook" (In quotation marks because book is only around 100 pages.
Many textbooks are huge - full of stuff you don't need -- smiles. You
need this book) for Choice Based Art Education!

Engaging Learners Through Artmaking: Choice-Based Art Education in the
Classroom ~ by Katherine M Douglas and Diane B. Jaquith.
Teachers College Press ISBN 978-0-8077-4976-0

Yes - that is our "Two Ducks" Kathy ("Quack-Quack" to you Kathy, if
you see this post).

Available on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Engaging-Learners-Through-Artmaking-Choice-Based/dp/0807749761

More about Teaching for Artistic Behavior:
http://teachingforartisticbehavior.org/index.html

A while back, I helped out answering a survey on art teaching methods.
The more I answered, the more frustrated I got. Good art teaching can
not be channeled into one approach. There must be art history content
(what they wanted was DBAE approach there), social awareness - art's
role in society (can't remember what they called that approach now),
how the arts relate/interact (Comprehensive Arts - which their survey
omitted) - and student centered (Choice based). Oh and don't forget
"Brain Based". I think that approach came out of Iowa in the early
90's - but don't remember for sure now...... Then there was also
"Visual Culture". Good art teaching does all of that. Save the
students almost twenty years. Teach this right from the beginning
(smile). Actually, I kind of came full circle. My first teaching
experience was mainly Choice Based - but then I wasn't as good about
integrating art history and the other arts. Certainly couldn't afford
it on my measly salary of $8,000 a year (chuckles).

As always, if you reply to this message, remove my email address
before you click "Send".

Regards,

Judy Decker