Re: [teacherartexchange] Art Ed Methods Textbooks

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2010 - 16:01:54 PDT

 Hi

I have taught Art Education methods courses for over 30 years. I too love Creative & Mental Growth. I am a third generation Lowenfeld supporter even now. But to answer your good question...I use Emphasis Art 9th edition to teach Elementary Art Education. I have also used Children and their Art by Gaitskill & Hurwitz but some students found it too academic. I personally think it is a great book and if you teach students with strong academic skills this would be ideal. Otherwise, I would recommend Emphasis Art, by the late Frank Wachowiak. It has been recently revised and it is a great revision by the co-author Clements who is very much alive.

I have never found a book I have liked to teach the Secondary Methods class. Many years ago, when the child centered approach was the dominant philosophy I used John Michael's book Teaching Art to Adolescents. But I have not found anything that I feel presents a broad perspective from many different points of view for teaching art at the middle school or high school level. Although I am not fond of how to books, many of my students love the Hume books. They are great resources. Perhaps others on the list can provide names of books for Secondary Art Education courses. I suspect since the market is so small there is not the incentive to publish books for Secondary Art Education courses.

Good luck.

Diane Gregory
Texas Woman's University