Re: [teacherartexchange] Art Ed Methods Textbooks

---------

From: Natalie Sakurai (gnatsak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2010 - 13:04:03 PDT

Hi Peggy,

I went through the teacher prep. program at CSU, Sacramento about 7
years ago. Our methods class was based on the text "Contemporary
Issues in Art Education" by Yvonne Gaudelius and Peg Speirs. It was
the belief of our professor that working with contemporary issues in
the art classroom was crucial to keeping the arts in the classroom at
all. (We've all been watching the programs being cut left and
right.) Another benefit of basing lessons on contemporary issues is
the immediate connection the students feel to the process. I've
experienced the best feedback from my students when we've focused on
issues that concerned them and the "real world."

Another aspect of the methods class was the "Idea Binder" that we were
each required to create. It included the state visual arts standards,
helpful information we learned/discovered during the course, and the
best part - a lesson plan from each student that was taught by that
student to our class during the course. This was a wonderful resource
to bring into the last phase of our student teaching. Looking back on
it, I was well prepared for my student teaching (although I didn't
feel that way at the time), largely because of my methods class.

Good luck! (I'm going to check out that Lowenfeld text - thanks!)

Natalie (Sacramento)