Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: materials fees, theft, and vandalism

---------

From: Claire d'Anthes (cdanthes_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 21:15:38 PDT

Like most schools, our budgets have been cut /eliminated and over the
last few years we have experienced a disturbing rise in theft,
vandalism, and wasteful irresponsibility in terms of caring for
supplies. It is usually impossible to apprehend the actual culprit,
even though we often know who it is, barring matching paint color to
unwashed brush. We have all the usual systems in place, numbering,
using numbered stands for brushes, monitoring sinks and tables, etc.
but as class sizes grow larger, and fewer students have any art in
junior high, our problem is increasing. Last year I had a bipolar
student who just put her unwashed brush in her box everyday and took
someone else's . This year I had two mannequin hands and a skull
stolen, 3 expensive books (I'm almost happy when someone steals a book,
but I can't always replace them), a number of other tools, and have an
enormous quantity of ruined brushes mainly because I'm busy trying to
supervise table clean-up and I have to switch rooms every other period.
  And, of course, the usual mess created by the individual who has
uber-mommy or a maid at home. This is the same for my colleagues. My
students were very sweet, I only had to send one person to the office,
they were generally well-behaved and I am a well-liked teacher. It's
not personal. We are debating asking students to pay for their own ink
pens and brushes next year, in addition to the general materials fee,
in hopes that they will take responsibility for their materials. Our
department chair is about ready to say that they have to go out an buy
their all their own materials which would be a hardship for many. Any
advice?
Claire d'Anthes