Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching idea development?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 15:12:59 PDT

  Having been an artist for 20 some years before I became a teacher
--- I have always been "idea- based."
I employ a "choice-based" art room where I give a problem to solve
and the innovation of the solutions is the basis for assessment. Of
course that means I have to provide many avenues for research. and
guidance as to how the solution is reached,.
When the focus is on student ideas-- the product reflects the
student input. in a positive manner.
I search for ideas first, then give individualized or group
instruction as to best means for technique. I will sometimes present
a technique that all have to follow, but never is it in a "style of
lesson. "

  I think it is very important to present methods of achieving a
communication, but I think it is more important to foster idea
generation. The art world revolves around what is new and
different. if we are not asking kids how to ask questions then we
are not teaching anything.

If we focus on techniques that may or may not have not value anymore,
then we sacrifice time to generate ideas that may get students to
look and observe and question on their own. All thinking about
education, is that is be student directed so they can realize the
skills from one discipline to another.
Problem solving is the core concept. That may mean we have to
change our concepts of "standards." If the "idea" doesn't come first
I don't now what should.

I can't ever envision going back to DBAE. I did that for couple of
years because it was the thing to do. But it left me cold and
uninspired.
  Give plenty of history, give plenty of methods, but mix it up
enough so that students can make a decision and apply it to their
learning

student reflection is very important -- they need to evaluate the
choices in order to make connections

Not easy for sure, and sometimes messy

Patty