Re: [teacherartexchange] Suggested Elementary Art Sub Plans For Leave of Absence?

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 09:58:22 PDT

I stayed home for extended periods with my three boys - the oldest is
23 the youngest is 16. Born in June, September and October... and I
stayed home until January and February with the first two.
When I started the year I had the kids working on projects that the
sub could easily finish (I was scheduled, so I knew my last day) and
spend the time transitioning. Then the subs took over all aspects of
the job. Not all had an art background. And everything was fine when
I came back.
Everyone is different, but I really believe that if is it long term
the school has the responsibility to hire someone appropriate for the
position - and I didn't do a thing after I left. (Although I did get a
call from one sub on the day I delivered about something... just
once.)
Our state has a Program of Studies, the teacher plans lessons around
that. I did leave some ideas - but if they choose something else,
that was fine. I had other things going on. (Read - I let a lot of
things go because in the long run - it wasn't my room/class at the
time, I was off the clock, I was available if needed - but I was on
leave. Mind shift)
I would remove any personal items - or lock them up. I didn't lock
anything up, but I would probably do that now - I have collections of
items that I wouldn't want the kids in to.

Leaving the room/class with a long term sub wasn't hard to do. Ask me
about this year (husband went through 6 months of chemo) and I would
tell you a different way to go, a different way to plan.
Ellen