Re: [teacherartexchange] smartboards in the artroom

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 23:33:53 PDT

Smartboard are like having your computer screen on a giant screen that the whole class can see. You run the screen by touching the board, either with your fingers or with pens. If you need to double click, you just tap the board twice with your finger. You can go out onto the net and look up artists or paintings or Youtube or whatever you can get on your computer and show it to the kids. You can freeze an image and have kids come up and draw over it with lines to show textures, elements and principles etc., you can ask the board to convert your printed notes into text, you can save all your work to files and use them again. You can scan in notes and directions that kids who miss a lecture can access. The company that makes smart also has lots of teacher stuff that you can use, but not so much for art as other subjects. You can pull up sounds or a stopwatch or all kinds of bells and whistles. It's super easy to make a slide type of presentation--you just find images that you like from wherever and gra
b your little camera icon and click it and they go onto a smartboard presentation--like a power point but so much easier to use. The board will also play a power point that you might have. You can do anything you can do with a computer. You can also just go up and draw on the board with pens or your finger--you have an eraser--you can adjust colors or size of lines etc. You can make lines of smiley faces if you want. Some teachers are incredibly creative with them and some just put up notes that the kids have to copy and show videos.

a couple of problems that I know of--some people have problems if the school is not really solid and the projector gets shaken every time the door shuts. The bulbs that light the projector are around $300 and have to be replaced a couple of times a year if you use the board all the time. My grade and attendance program is computerized so I realized quickly as they were installing the board that I wanted a separate computer for the white board so that I can keep my private info up and private.

-*Scanned by ECSD GWAVA*-