Re:[teacherartexchange] Fat books

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 23:14:20 PDT

Hi Bunki!
 I think I have this down now---we'll see.

 About the fat books, are we really asking kids to make the same design
21 times?? They might (and me as well) be enthusiastic a couple of times, but 21? Am I understanding this right?
I would want them to actually do some art work, not just decorate paper. I love the idea but I cant quite work it out in my head. I hadn't done altered books for a couple of years and then did it again this year--the kids always love ripping up text books to get started, but they are so big that they dont get much done --a few really get into it, but most just do the minimum and not get personally involved--also the time factor. It would take them most of the year to do a great book.

I tried to make a sketchbook a couple of years ago using paste paper over mat board for covers and ring binders. The kids never bought in to it. They did the minimum I required--I really have a problem having them make sketchbooks that they love without spending too much class time on it. whine whine whine--aren't you glad I had trouble posting!!

I bought a book called "Wreck This Journal" by I think a person named Smith--it had some interesting ideas for what to do
in a journal--spill coffee and make something out of it--draw everything you ate in the last 24 hours--a list of artist's excuses.

So what are one sentence books and zentangles?? Sid

-*Scanned by ECSD GWAVA*-