Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching idea development?

---------

From: Diane Davis (dianemdavis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 16:54:59 PDT

I have been focusing more and more on ideas. I work with students to
think out an idea through brainstorming, or to work with a theme and
develop it as they work. I find that when they use just the materials
as a focus, they think they have learned all there is about that
material. I had one student ask me what he could do, because he had
"done everything in the room already". By focusing them on the message
they are sending to the viewer, they realize that it isn't always
about using a material "right". One of the things I'm focusing on more
this year is how to adapt an idea. I have a handout from somewhere on
the internet, which is 26 ways to change your art. It includes things
like repeating elements, looking at a small part of the image,
exploding the image so it goes outside the boundaries of the paper,
etc. I'm hoping to get them to think more about revisions of ideas, as
well as making the initial idea. Is this what you meant by idea
development?
Diane Davis