re:[teacherartexchange] adult art appreciation

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 12:46:54 PDT

Being gentle (but enthusiastic and inspired) is the best advice when
teaching adults (and kids). When I teach adults, these are some ideas
that work for me.

1. Start without showing anything, but I have them do a very easy and
simple hands-on and/or small group activity that builds a frame of
reference for some aspect of what we will be discussing. I do not
demonstrate or show, but have them work to show me visual answers to
my questions. Or I ask them to respond to their own individual
observations so that every effort looks unique and has no wrong or
right way to do it.

2. When showing something, I start with several open questions about
it and themselves. Give positive feedback to the first responders, but
keep the discussion going until major ideas are covered.

3. Relate artwork to everyday life (visual culture) of the students.

4. I do not worry about covering a certain amount of content, but I
make sure that there is significant
content that is not already in the awareness of the students.

5. I end sessions with review questions and a few new questions about
what has been learned and what will be learned soon.

Marvin

Marvin Bartel, Ed.D., Emeritus Professor of Art
Adjunct in Art Education
Goshen College
1700 South Main Street
Goshen IN 46526