Re: [teacherartexchange] 'Old Home Week'

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 10:44:31 PDT

I'm still here too! I tried to figure how long, and it's at least
2000 if not before. Most people my age are retired already, but I
have at least four more years. I continue to forge into new areas
even when I don't know how, and teach 5 preps even though I only
teach 4 class periods - so figure that .

I concur with San D that newsletter@list.artdaily.com
is a valuable resource. I display it daily along with the NY Times
to generate questions of the day. life.com is also good for images
to spur dialogue

I've been trying to "Moodle" a couple of my courses but again as San
D said
> I started a blog with my AP kids last year, and unfortunately they
> weren't interested. Go figure. It wasn't the amount of work
> required. Essentially they only responded to articles, it was the
> nuisance of not being able to discuss it face to face in class,
> they would rather do that than "converse' with a computer. Who knew?

So, although I regard all the bells and whistles of new
communications, I found this-- when I sat down and "told artists
stories" the memory was better communicated. I gave a 'pastiche"
assignment as my final in one class. I was blow n away about the
choices made by students based on my history presentations. They
picked up on details I had never imagined.
So I'm working on my story telling skills and how memories are made
and retained.