Re:[teacherartexchange] listeners old and new

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 06:33:34 PDT

I have also been a member of this listserve for many years. I have been retired from teaching for two years now, but I continue to use and contribute to this forum when I feel the urge. Most of the veterans in this group seem to recognize the value and necessity of mentoring their peers, and have remained an important source of methods and techniques that have benefitted all of us.

I have noticed a steady decline in the membership of this group, and have also noticed a reluctance among some current art teachers I know to utilize the offerings of such a forum, which is unfortunate. One thing I have noticed is that many of the contributors are people who seek and use resources to further their profession, which makes them active, lifelong learners. Isn't that what we want from our students? More art educators should take advantage of those resources, because both our students and our profession will prosper if they do. I am always grateful to those who are willing to share their many years of experience with those who are just getting started. I hope they continue--I know I will.

Jerry