[teacherartexchange] Teaching idea development?

---------

From: Diane Beilby (dibeilby_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 27 2009 - 17:56:41 PDT

Teachers

I need help!,
I am in a methods class and an writing a research paper. For my paper I
need input from other art teachers.

I need some data. I am hoping that some of you might answer a few questions
for me.

I have been teaching art for 13 years. When I began it seems the focus was
on technique and design principles. I was attracted to Discipline based art
education. I have gradually been changing my focus from design first to
idea first then design and technique.

Do you teach idea development in your class? Do you base assignments on
technique, design principles and/or idea development? Has your class focus
been changing? If you have been changing your focus, do you notice more
involvement with lessons where students base assignments on their ideas
instead design or technique alone.

Thanks in advance for any input
Diane