RE: [teacherartexchange] Listers Old and New

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 27 2009 - 13:47:27 PDT

 Hey everyone!
  I thought I would jump in and say, I'm still around too, AND I'm still in the trenches! I could always use new and fresh ideas from new and fresh teachers to help keep me new and fresh...I've posted my flickr site before, although I haven't added anything past the white on white cutouts...I will be adding more in September.

Here are some random things I wanted to share

newsletter@list.artdaily.com

it's great, sends you art shows/happenings/articles daily from around the world. Helps keep me informed especially about young artists (and of course the tried and true artists), and where they are exhibited, what museum shows are happening, what large sculpture has been unveiled in the world, same with architecture. Since I teach AP Art History it comes in handy for my students as well.

I am planning on podcasting with my students from AP Class next year. I got a grant for the software and microphone and instead of just assigning them a presentation on non-western art (a critical component to the AP Class) they will make pod casts, and upload them to our school's website and to iTunes. As soon as that is available, I will let you all know, you and your kids will be welcomed to see/share them.

I started a blog with my AP kids last year, and unfortunately they weren't interested. Go figure. It wasn't the amount of work required. Essentially they only responded to articles, it was the nuisance of not being able to discuss it face to face in class, they would rather do that than "converse' with a computer. Who knew?

As for me, I think I have 5 more years or so to go. I could retire now, but I love what I am doing. More importantly though, my first head puppeteer from my puppet program was one of only 4 kids (in the world...we are so excited) accepted into the puppetry program at Univ of Connecticut, and I want to help him financially with money for supplies, so as long as he is in school, so am I. In turn he will be sharing what he learns so that I can inform my puppetry program. Bottom line, if my program continues to grow as it has these last 4 years, he could take it over if he wanted. But as you all know the best laid plans....he may end up being a butcher, baker or candlestick maker in 4 years, who knows...there are definitely NO strings attached for him to be a puppeteer, but right now he is the best and loves it.

I must say a public thank you to the New Jersey Art Educators Association for giving me a grant to go to the National Puppetry Festival in Atlanta in July. Harrison (my head puppeteer) and I went two years ago (when he got a grant from Puppeteers of America), and now we can go again. I always bring back new and innovative ideas from the festival/conference. As we see many many performances and take workshops. I then pass these ideas on at my state NJAE (state art educators) conference and at the NJEA (state teachers) convention.

So you can see that while no moss grows on this rolling stone, gray hair does.

San D