Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: June 25, 2009

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 13:13:31 PDT

RE: Art Room Wish List & other Art Ed sites

 I would ask for at least 4 sinks (I have 4 and in a class of 28, six
times a day, it still is not enough). The sinks should be DEEP, to
reduce splashes, as well as at an age-appropriate height. Also, no
laminate---get the old steel counters if you can, they are cheaper and
will age much better. My sinks also have big traps, 2 per sink, that
catch "gunk" like excess clay, paint, and twice a year my custodians
clean them out, so that avoids horrible clogs.
 I have flat files, and would recommend a ratio of 2 classes per
drawer. Drying racks-- go with move-able ones, they take up a lot of
room when you are not printmaking. I roll mine into my kiln room when
not in use.
 Ask for a separate kiln room/drying room, off the art room, vented
directly outdoors. I go thorough nearly 2,000 lbs. of clay a year
(elementary 3-4-5, 760 students), and it is a necessity! You should
not be running a kiln during school hours if it is in your room
(fumes, heat, etc.)
 Smartboard with ceiling projection, dedicated computer for just the
Smartboard. I start almost all lessons with the Smartboard and leave
"live" links up for students to seek reference/visit relate art sites
on the SB independently.
 Computer island with outlets, printer, internet access.
 Separate art closet with built-in shelving, with a locking door.

 AS for sites other than this, I love "Art Ed 2.0". Although it is
more technology-oriented, some of my biggest program successes were
inspired by these folks.
http://arted20.ning.com

best wishes in your new room!
Lois G.

--
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates