[teacherartexchange] "newbies" and art lesson ideas

---------

From: Emmy Wood (naturehappens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 11:09:08 PDT

Hi everyone!
I have been a silent member of this group for quite some time.  I joined after hearing about it in one of my art ed classes.  I just want to tell you all how amazing this resource is for all art teachers!  So thank you for your honesty and ideas!  Now that I am finally graduated from college and struggling to find a job in the real world, I'm sure you will see more from me.

I am really intrigued with bookmaking and altering and this Fatbook idea that is going around seems awesome!  I have been using this summer to job hunt and to keep me occupied (from worrying about the economy). I am researching different ideas and techniques- I've looked through just about every book on altered art and pop-ups/paper sculpting that the library has (so far my favorite is: Exhibition 36: Mixed Media Demonstrations and Explorations By Susan Tuttle).  If you are looking for other ways to use sketchbooks/altered books- I saw a cool idea about making a birth year book, also self portrait collages, and using bookmaking where the kids make a design (elements and principles) book which they can then reference throughout the year(s).

One more thing, as there have been questions about where we new teachers congregate- There really is nothing else like here that I have found (and I have looked) of course, there are a lot of teachers/friends on  Facebook, but that is more of a social venue, besides emailing or posting interesting links, there is not much idea sharing.  I've been telling people to get on this list, and my guess is that there are a lot of new teachers out there that, like me, haven't yet felt they had much to offer this group (plus I didn't realize how easy it is post).  So thank you all for being here!
Emmy
Art teacher wannabe in Colorado