Re: [teacherartexchange] A Brand New Art Room! Ideas from Dr. Bartel

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 10:02:09 PDT

Greetings Katrina and all,

I am posting to the list because some new members may not know about
the valuable resources Dr. Marvin Bartel has online.

Art Classroom Design
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/artroom.html

Take time this summer to review Marvin's valuable lessons and advice
to art educators:

Many of you will remember Marvin's posts. Even though he is retired,
he continues to educate us. He has really changed my thinking - about
how I teach/taught art. He knows the struggles I have gone through to
spiffy up the lessons that have been submitted to Incredible Art
Department - and even still, they do not fit my true philosophy (but
it is unfair to contributors to completely re-write their lesson
plans. Some have been offended by my revisions).

Marvin is one of our members who does not wish his email address to be
posted - although he has never told you that. I will today. For as
long as I can remember, he does not have his email posted on his home
page in a "harvest-able" format. He has it shown as a jpeg image. Read
his reason.

http://www.bartelart.com/mb.html

Every time he makes a post - spending lots of time to answer questions
that are important to him - I see someone post a simple "Thank you"
which includes his email address. Yes, I do write to that individual
off list asking them to refrain from posting his address for others to
harvest and send spam.

Story time.....

I even named one of my Getty Beta Fish after Marvin (meaning "famous
friend"). My Beta's had always represented the "Getty Pond" (The
first, "Nick" - or "Nicholas Red Fish-Blue Fish" - was named after
Nick at Getty who saved the list for us. Then came Marvin. The last
was King Victorious as he was a crown tail Beta. There won't be
another..... I have a 75 gallon fresh water aquarium with fish from
around the world.... The world is more important to me now than the
Getty pond. Each year, I am responsible for sending dozens of school
kits and health kits around the world for children in need.) My son is
actually the one who got me started with fish. He gave me his starter
aquarium for my desk and got me the first Beta. The 75 gallon aquarium
is really his - but I wouldn't let him have it back after he bought
his house (which was always the plan - to have him take it once he got
a house). They are my fish now. I have adopted all of them. We helped
Matt buy a new aquarium for his house. He has a 95 gallon fresh water
and 35 gallon salt water aquarium.

Judy Decker