[teacherartexchange] altered books tidbit......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 08:13:17 PDT

I visited the PBS website for more information after watching their
fabulous movie of Mark Twain this week on public TV. Here's an
interesting fact:

"Mark Twain was a lifelong creator and keeper of scrapbooks. He took
them with him everywhere and filled them with souvenirs, pictures, and
articles about his books and performances. But in time, he grew tired
of the lost glue, rock-hard paste, and the swearing that resulted from
the standard scrapbook process. So, he came up with the idea of
printing thin strips of glue on the pages to make updates neat and
easy to do. In 1872, he patented his "self-pasting" scrapbook, and by
1901, at least 57 different types of his albums were available. It
would be his only invention that ever made money.

Bunki