Re:[teacherartexchange] a brand new art room! IDEAS?

---------

From: mbortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 06:45:37 PDT

Re: a brand new art room! IDEAS?

Lucky, Lucky You!! My classroom is 30 years old and I was given a tease
last year that it would be re-done - everyone understand budget cuts? Thank
goodness my supply order wasn't hit too bad, so I'm not complaining and I
have a room - with a sink:)

Please consider for yourself -
 - Sinks - you're right, a child height and one standard height for you so
your back doesn't break, maybe a slop sink. For the students consider the
new trough type with automatic water flow that accommodates several children
at a time. Our new schools in the district have them and I think they're
great! Make sure you have plenty of counterspace near the upper sink for
brushes and water containers to stack.
 - Counter space with wide cabinets underneath and cabinet storage above -
adjustable shelves! Open shelving is great too, but dusty!
 - Storage! What I would give for a closet with shelving to store sculpture
and found materials
 - Outlets!!!!! I have only 5 outlets in my room - (is that to code?) One
is by my sink (?) useless, one is for my kiln, one is for my phone, computer
and printer, another for pencil sharpener by the door which leaves me one
for projector, blow-dryer, hot glue gun, etc.
 - Kiln with and environvent Make sure it's out of the way in a corner with
a gate to block it off for safety for the students. Also, you will want
shelving by the kiln for loading and unloading the kiln, and a clay cabinet
or table for wedging.
-Bulletin board paper on moveable cart. Mine were originally stored on the
wall - forget that!
 - Consider natural light and shades to darken the room for when you show
PowerPoint's and web-sites.
 - Smartboard! or there is a new invention I've heard about that attaches to
the white board without wires - fantastic
- Tables - maple with Formica tops. I wanted black tops, did I mention
budget cuts?
 - I actually would love a blank wall to hang paper for mural work with my
students. Since the artroom is the only room without carpet I think that
would be great (WOW! I just got an idea for the first week of school!
THANKS!)
 - Flat oversized paper drawers are great. Consider where your desk will be
located (*and the phone). Behind my desk I have oversized paper drawers
with a counter which I place 6 bins containing my LP for each grade level
(elementary) with materials for each. So easy to grab as one class goes out
and another comes in - also helps when there is a sub, everything is
accessible.
 - Flooring - mine is so old the finish is done. It grabs clay dust, stains
from tempera, staples get caught in the tile sections. Hopefully, they will
install a decent floor for you.
-Bookcase! I have binders of images of animals, landscapes, architecture
you name it along with art books and no bookcase. The milk cartons look
great in the room and so accessible :)

Oh, to dream! Good luck and many happy years of creative fun!