Re: [SPAM?] [teacherartexchange] a brand new art room! IDEAS?

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 10:49:37 PDT

Wow! You're so lucky!!!!!! We were "remodeled" about 8 years ago.
Beware. Get everything in writing....I mean it! At the end of our
remodel, we had gone through 3 contractors so I got very little of
what I asked for. I did get cabinets designed with removable shelves
so I could give every child a "cubby box" for their artwork though the
classes got larger and some share now. I got the "boxes" the next year
with grant monies.

Get LARGE SINKS. Mine are 5x2 feet each (2). You'll need them for
large buckets, etc. Get strainers for the sinks so everything and
heaven doesn't go down the sink and get stuck.

I got big flat files...one on top of another...so I can fit a 36"
paper cutter on it and still have room for standing plastic files on
top plus 12x18" paper. Flat files are great for big artwork as well as
matboard, etc.

Curtains with blackouts so you can get a dark room for overheads, etc.

Make sure your tables can be set with chairs on all four sides. Our
"designer" said, "Trust me. I'll get what you want." I did and he
didn't. Kids can't sit at the ends of the table so it complicates
classroom set-up.

Get chairs not stools for back complaints.

I had specific directions for screen and TV placement since I knew the
room and where the glare comes from the windows. It didn't happen as
planned and when I complained, they would not change it. They said,
"Give it a year and we'll change it". After a year, I asked and they
looked at me as if I had 3 heads. No deal.

Watch phone placement and where they put the computer plug-ins. It's
seldom in the obvious place you would think. These contractors don't
teach in a classroom so they don't think about room placements.

Think about counter space ALL around the room so you can put supplies
around the room. That way when your kids go to get supplies, they are
not all ganged up in one corner of the room.

A big, on-rollers, spring-loaded drying rack that can tucked out of
the way when not used...big for big paper.

That's it for quick thoughts. Toodles....Bunki