Re:[teacherartexchange] Fat books

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 09:38:02 PDT

HI, Renee. Good to hear from you again. I thought, when I first read
about "fat" books, "Perfect for me since I seem to get fatter every
year." Ha. I've done altered books in the past as well as the ATCs (I
think that is what you were talking about) and trading. The kids
seemed to enjoy making the books to keep the ATCs in more than the
actual ATCs but they were enthusiastic with the trading of them among
each other. These projects got a little "old" for me after a while so
I moved on and started other book-making. We made some really neat one-
sentence books that fold out this past year and some smaller zentangle
books the last 2 weeks of the school year. We also made some little
books out of Starbucks coffee sleeves which were cute and used them as
autograph or phone number books. This was all in my CRAFTS class.

I joined a "fat" book Yahoo group just this week and can't wait to get
started but it seems it's summer and everyone has slowed down and
nothin' is going on right now. I wish they would organize another
swap soon. I understand from talking to a member or two that these are
generally 4x4" books and the groups are usually 21 or more people.
Everyone who joins makes a page and then repeats it again 20 more
times (or whatever number joins) then sends all the 21 pages to a
"hostess" who sorts them out so everyone gets back 20 diff. pages and
the hostess keeps one of each. Some hostesses bind the books before
she sends them back. Some just send back all the diff. pages and you
bind your own. Fat books are small but really thick. There are
specific directions about how much of the page you can use, etc. so
they can be bound. Sounds like it might be something the kids would
like as they like to trade and do autographing. I saw pics of some of
the books using 3 rings to bind which would be easy for the classroom.
You should join with me with the group. Toodles, Bunki