Re: [teacherartexchange] Art history focus

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 06:27:02 PDT

Break art history into these levels first: Artist, Art Periods, Cultural Art. Define a list of reading resources your library possess on each of these levels. Create a website list of resources students can access (that are not blocked) relating to these levels. When you have all your resources create a list of Artist, Art Periods, Cultural Art that students can choose from that will help generate the curriculum for the class.

Remember are you teaching an overview of Art History or a detailed college level course. The overview should spark questions to learn and connect to their studio production classes.

Differentiate the levels students wish to achieve at giving students specific details on what is required for certain percent level of grade. The project must have this for an A, B, C.

Students could just do a paper, with visual examples, resource list. (this is what is typically done)
Students could create a poster (by hand) or on the computer.
Students could create a brochure
Students could create a game
Students could create a powerpoint, Imovie, Movie Maker presentation.
Students could work in teams to create a presentation to the class or to younger students.
Students could create a newsletter, newspaper.
Students could create a blog, webpage.
Students could create a book filled with "their" exploration of Art History.
Students could look at their own "cultural" backgrounds and the art from their culture, artist and art period influences.

If these presentations are presented to the class the presenter could also develop a simple assessment to have fellow students take that could be used for the class grade.

The teachers job will be to supply resources, an overview of Artist, Periods and Cultures, giving students "keywords" to find and research information. Help students understand the presentation materials and tools they can use. Ask the "essential questions" to push students to "think" about connections of what they are researching and its impact on their own art making and the art making of others, How is it influencing Art now?, What did they learn that they did not know before.

These are just some of the things I do with my own 18 week Art History course. I have also done this in a modified manner with Elementary students.

Jeff (Minnesota)

I also would like a new approach to teaching art history right now I have some of my classes choose artists from a list I supply and they have to research and turn in a paper on that artists. ut it is alot of extra reading for me. I woudl like to come up with some sort of qustionaire or form they could fill out , but then you have the cheaters that copy info. maybe and art assignment in the artist style. Any good solutions out there.
BAT
----- Original Message ----- From: "Cheryl Lloyd" <clloyd@ceres.k12.ca.us>