[teacherartexchange] British-Nigerian Conceptual Artist - NY Times

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 08:37:40 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

New York Times Online is a valuable resource for your teaching. It
comes to your inbox daily and is FREE. Just sign up. I don't seem to
have time to check it every day now - but at least scan for
interesting articles a couple times a week.

Here is one that caught my eye (from June 17):
Headless Bodies From a Bottomless Imagination
By DEBORAH SONTAG
>> Yinka Shonibare, the British-Nigerian conceptual artist, continues to challenge assumptions and stereotypes.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/arts/design/21sont.html?ref=design
Yinka is paralyzed - but comes up with these ideas for truly amazing
works. Various artists complete the works. Article has an audio slide
show (some great stuff!) and a video from ART 21.

This made me smile (from the article):

>> One day his tutor confronted him . Why are you making work about Perestroika? the tutor, a white Briton, asked. You are African, arent you? Why dont you make authentic African art?

At first Mr. Shonibare was taken aback. I tried to figure out what he
meant by authentic African art, he said. I didnt know how to be
authentic. What would I do if I was being authentic?

....... Right then, Mr. Shonibare said, he found his artistic raison
dtre. I realized what Id really have to deal with was the
construction of stereotypes, and thats what my work would be about.

Enjoy!

For more from NY Times - Art and Design Index page:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

See:
Art Review
 Gemlike Paintings, Set Free From Words
By KAREN ROSENBERG
Illustrated pages removed from medieval and Renaissance manuscripts
are given new life in a show at the Morgan Library & Museum.
Includes slide show - published June 18, 2009

Also see Muslim artist, Asma Ahmed
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/arts/design/07sont.html
features audio slide show

Lots of good stuff! - check other multi-media features (linked on Art
and Design Index).

Note to Getty TeacherArtExchange Members - Please do not post my email
address. Simply clip/remove my address from your reply before you
click send. I would venture to say that this post took me quite a bit
longer to write than your reply. Folks have told me "It takes too much
time to remove the email addresses." Some have even called me
"controlling" (smile). I fought pretty hard to keep this list a while
back. I won't do it again. I have written to Getty staff several times
asking them to investigate software that would truncate addresses that
get posted and have heard nothing back. "Nick" is no longer with
Getty. He is the one who saved the list for us seveal years ago. He
knew about the software then, but I can't remember now why they didn't
implement it. Yahoo has been using it for years.

Regards,

Judy Decker