RE: [teacherartexchange] pottery

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 03 2009 - 08:39:42 PDT

Handbuilding is wonderful stuff. You can do so much with it, and quite frankly it prepares students for the next step, later on of working on the potter's wheels.

Here is a list of things I have done over the years that I am sure you can adapt.

birdhouses.
belt buckles, necklaces, bracelets
cars
houses
apartments (each kid makes an apartment, like shoebox size, and everyone stacks their finished work on top of the other for a completed apartment)
wind chimes
pop art food
clothing that looks like it is hanging from a nail (they become wall pieces).
pots/vases,pinch pots
tea pots
african masks
tiles
clay books (stand opened, can be painted, glazed and or collaged)
whistles
clay plants (pot in coil, dirt is slab built over newspaper in pot, hole in bottom of pot to let out gasses from newspaper, plants are coil and slab built on the slab dirt..these are great when finished, and never die!)
oil lamps/votives/incense burners
clay clocks (basically slab with an indentation on the back for the battery operated guts.

I'm sure I am forgetting something, after 35 years of teaching it all is a blurr!

San D