[teacherartexchange] Safe Screen-printing

---------

From: Scott Harrison (harrison360_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2008 - 07:17:45 PDT

I have been doing screen-printing for almost 30 years in the high
school setting. Started out using laquor film which was knife cut and
adhered with acetone. Yikes what a smell! Have done quite a bit of
paper stencil work which does quite well. Recommend the freezer wrap
paper which has plastic on one side to resist water and paint. Goes
by the name of Deer wrap in my neck of the woods. You could have the
kids do all the positives and you could coat and expose the screens
after school or at home so they don't deal with the sensitizer
chemical. Or dry the screens and bring them in to expose them in
class. I use a 500 watt work light about 20 inches above the screen
for 18 minutes (YMMV). The positives are two layers of laser printed
clear film taped together for density. I recommend the screen coater
that Dick Blick sells to coat the screens if you coat your own and
plan to do a lot of it. You can video the process to show the kids
how you got to that point.

Scott Harrison
South Fork High School
Humboldt Redwoods