[teacherartexchange] Make New York Times part of your summer reading

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2008 - 09:45:42 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

New York Times online is FREE and has lots of good stuff for you to
use in your classrooms (I know many of you bring in current events for
your students).
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

Some articles of interest......
Beyond Stereotypes: 21st-Century Indian Artists
By KEN JOHNSON
Published: June 20, 2008
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/20/arts/design/20remi.html?ref=design

>> Now comes Post-Indian. "Remix: New Modernities in a Post Indian World," an exhibition at the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian, argues that for many young artists, being Indian does not necessarily wholly determine who or what they are and does not oblige them to work in a certifiably Indian style. To prove its point, the exhibition presents a mixed bag of works by 15 artists of at least partial American Indian descent.

From NMAI
http://www.nmai.si.edu/exhibitions/remix/artists.html
June 7–September 21, 2008 George Gustav Heye Center, New York

Three Lives Inspire the Portrayal of a Complex Artist
By PATRICIA COHEN
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/theater/19ruehl.html?ref=design
Mercedes Ruehl exchanges her jeans for more exotic fashions to portray
the sculptor Louise Nevelson in the play "Edward Albee's Occupant."

Also:
Resurrecting an Artist's Greatest Creation: Herself
By BEN BRANTLEY

Mercedes Ruehl performs with unimpeachable conviction in Edward
Albee's touchingly modest tribute to the sculptor Louise Nevelson.

Darkness Was Muse for a Master of Light
By CAROL VOGEL
Published: June 13, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/arts/design/13voge.html?ref=design
"The Starry Night," van Gogh's hypnotic canvas from 1889, is one of
the Museum of Modern Art's most popular paintings, attracting
thousands of visitors every year since it entered the collection in
1941.

One from a while back....
An Artist Breathes New Life Into Renaissance Ways With Wood
By CAROL KINO
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/arts/design/27marq.html?_r=1&ref=design&oref=login
Unusually for a 35-year-old contemporary artist, Alison Elizabeth
Taylor 's favored medium is wood marquetry.

Has slide show of her work.
(have to register to get this one)

Much more to read.... Good stuff.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
Incredible Art Resources

P.S. I know I have been "quiet" for some time.... Things are returning
to normal... but I am way behind.... Will try to get caught up, but
hubby and I have big plans for the summer (doing house repairs and
will be helping my son get his new house ready - first time homeowner
for him). For those of you who have sent in lesson plans..... I will
get to those in the fall (I have been unable to type for several
months). Remember, I no longer put all plans that come to me on the
site. I am looking for plans the meet certain criteria - that are more
student oriented and teach "big ideas" - important world issues. "In
the style of....." lessons must be truly unique in some way to be
considered. I do appreciate all of your willingness to share. In
time, I will get the lessons forwarded to the lesson sharing groups.